Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Emergency Shawl story!

So much knitting occurred as well as knitting events! It won't be contained solely in this post, but that it just to make it suspenseful!

Andean Treasure Shawl
Andean Treasure Shawl
Originally uploaded by diluvienne.

All right, back in September, I woke up at some point (read too late), awoken by connecting the dots that me going to a wedding in Lake Louise at end September and there being around 5C at that time of the year, as well as me wearing a fancy dress that doesn't really cover that much the shoulders should lead to the logical answer being that I need a shawl. Basically, I ordered my yarn 3 weeks before the flight (at the epiphany moment, basically), which took 2 eternal weeks to show up at my door step and left me with 1 week to produce a shawl.

I call it the Wedding Emergency Shawl.

I wanted something easy to do and to remember, given I have no previous experience in lacing and that I have no time and interest in that, given the circumstances. I went for KnitPicks' Feather and Fan pattern. Here it is:

Row 1: Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: K1, *[k2tog] 3 times, [yo, k1] 6 times, [k2tog] 3 times; repeat from * to last st, k1.
Row 4: Knit

I used a total of 10 balls of Andean Silk, colorway cranberry, because I wanted it rather long and wrapping.

View from the 2nd holel
View from the 2nd hole
Originally uploaded by diluvienne.

Now, this shawl has a lot to tell. It had to be knitted in a week (at the time, I was considering using only 8 balls of yarn), which lead me to have go through a ball a day. Even during working days.

I knitted and I knitted. On the bus, walking to the bus, in the metro. On the plane.

Poppy
Poppy
Originally uploaded by diluvienne.

When we arrived in Lake Louise, the day before the wedding, we went to Golden (BC), for golfing. I don't golf, but I was offered to be my boyfriend's chauffeur (never drove those before and it is fun, fun, fun!!) and that gave me the opportunity to take gorgeous pictures like there is no tomorrow. But, sometimes, between two holes and after taking all that inspired me, I would knit a couple of rows in my cart (especially when there was a shower of rain). There I was, on the golf course, driving and knitting, sometimes both at the same time!

I figured that finishing it in time for the wedding was a tad utopian, but I wanted to do the most I can so I can take it off the needles, wear it at the wedding (hopefully it'll cover my shoulders!) and then I would finish it completely when I come back on, by placing it back on the needles. And so I did.

I blocked it last week. Yeah!

No comments: