Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Interactive knitting

Hello knitters!

I have a couple of inquiries that need interaction!

- Would anyone have any idea of a good pattern for stripey yarn? I guess that it wouldn't have to be to busy to let the stripes do the talking, but on the other hand, I don't want to do only st. st. for all of them!! Any idea is welcome!

- I am pondering about knitting slippers and have been for a while. The main thing stopping me right now, besides time, is that I seriously don't know where in Montreal to find suede. I wouldn't want my slippers to wear off too quickly, so I want to make suede soles. But where does one get that in Montreal? I know that Effiloché doesn't have that (despite having sewing stuff)... :-(

- I want to learn how to knit socks using the Magic loop! Would anyone teach me? What length of needle do I need for it? At least, I can obtain it in advance...

Thank you!

3 comments:

dcoombs said...

For stripy socks, a simple pattern is probably best... some kind of subtle diagonal ribbing? (Maybe similar to the one you abandoned because of the holes it created, but without the holes, if you can figure out how?)

For suede, I suggest harvesting it yourself. As a bonus, you can also eat the cow.

Sincerely,
-Your Lovely Assistant

Eunice said...

i actually have the magic loop booklet. i think you can buy it from fibertrends:
http://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/patterns/0_magicloop.html

i saw suede slipper soles from doggedknits' blog, and they are provided by fibertrends, though not on their website. you can find them on paradise fibers:
http://www.paradisefibers.net/Fibertrends-Slipper-Soles-p/2070.htm (or google "fibertrends slipper soles" for other suppliers).

as for stripes...have you tried chevron? it works very well for stripes. one classic example is jaywalkers, by grumperina. http://magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm

hope that helps :)

and dcoombs, obtaining suede from a cow is uhm...kind of messy. not to mention unique leather techniques (some suggest using the brains of the said cow to 'tan' the hide). and that's a LOT of cow to eat, even for a meat eater.

Eunice said...

ok, that was an ugly linkfest. to recap:

magic loop booklet

suede slipper soles

jaywalker (chevron sock pattern)