Thursday, August 23, 2007

On the road to yarn/pattern experimentation...

Watching ejchang's blog and photos, I couldn't help to notice some really gorgeous yarn she was knitting with. After inquiring with her, I finally discovered Fleece Artist's yarn. "Not too late!", you might say, but I was completely unaware of their existence and I instantly fell in love with their yarn.

Sea Wool
Sea Wool
Originally uploaded by diluvienne.

I had my first physical, sensorial, actual encounter with Fleece Artist's products when I had my first visit at Effiloché (mandatory visit for any serious knitter in Montreal, in my opinion!). I caved for a skein of Sea Wool (70% Merino, 30% Seacell) and of Merino yarn.

Bordello sock

I started playing with the Sea Wool yarn, using the Bordello Sock pattern. However, after a few inches, I started to realize that this pattern has a basic flaw for socks that bothers me a lot: they are not stretchy (mind you, I knit on the tight end).

I ended up ripping it off (hence the lack of photo of my own), and started again with a different pattern (another post!)

For obvious reasons, I cannot divulge the pattern online. However, I am inclined to give it to anyone who asks for it! Any takers?

2 comments:

Eunice said...

hey there.

i actually have the bordello sock pattern so i can't ask for it :)

i am going to be a very evil enabler and introduce you to more brands of sock yarn that i love:
Koigu (canadian!)
Blue Moon Sock Yarn
Lorna's Laces

and some shops that specialize in sock yarn (both commercial and small indie yarns)
The Loopy Ewe

The Sweet Sheep -- Canadian, though not exclusively sock yarn, a really good selection of commercial and indie yarns.

and because i really should warn you what happens after you're done with all these links...this is why seth has put me on a sock yarn ban (temporary): my sock yarns here.

happy browsing and knitting!

melanie girouard said...

Thanks for all the links! More yarn desires!!!

I am about to face yarn ban, I expect, since I have yarn for 22 pairs of socks (here or about to come) (some to dye myself) and yarn for 3 scarves and I am currently working on a skirt. :-)

;-)